Sunday, September 20, 2015

How do I: Do Desert, Wasteland bases for miniatures


First one of the series "How do I..." I will explain my way of doing Desert/Wasteland bases for miniatures. I use this technique for my Skorne Army and for this tutorial I will use my Gatorman Posses.
This technique come from a player. He did it for his Necrons army and the effect is great. I believe it's worth sharing.


Materials needed:

- GW Agrellan Earth
- PVA Glue
- Sand
- GW Mordheim Turf
- GW Averland Sunset
- GW Agrax Earthshade
- GW Ushabti Bones
- GW Screaming Skull
- GW Steel Legion Drab




1) First, I apply a really thick layer of GW Agrellan Earth. I like it thicker to make the cracks bigger but it's a personal choice and smaller cracks works too.


2) Now, lets stick a little bit of sand to the base. This will give it more texture later. I like to leave it to dry at least half day.


3) Third step will be to put some color. I use GW Averland Sunset for the base coat.


4) It's up to you but now you can do one or two layer or GW Agrax Earthshade. If you do two, you will make the base more dark. I did only one layer.


5) Now, make an heavy dry brush of GW Ushabti Bones. Make sure the wash is dry before doing this step.


6) Next, small dry brush of GW Screaming Skull. You can barely see it.


7) Stick some GW Mordheim Turf or other and paint the border in GW Steel Legion Drab or any brown that suit your test.


I like the end result. Wasteland, Desert... The effect is here and suit my Skorne army. More picture of the full unit.



What do you think? Like it? Next in the series of "How do I"; How I paint Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment